You MUST bring someone with you to drive you home.
Your doctor has scheduled you to have a Capsule Endoscopy which is a diagnostic test that allows the doctor to visualize the small bowel.
The day before Capsule Endoscopy:
- After lunch on the day before the Capsule Endoscopy examination, start the liquid diet your physician prescribed. From 10pm the evening before Capsule Endoscopy, do not eat or drink except for necessary medication with a sip of water.
- Do NOT take any medications beginning 8 hours before undergoing Capsule Endoscopy.
- Abstain from smoking 24 hours prior to undergoing Capsule Endoscopy
- The day of Capsule Endoscopy:
- Arrive at your physician's office at the prescribed time for your Capsule Endoscopy dressed in loose fitting, two-piece clothing.
- The sensor leads will be applied to your abdomen with adhesive pads and will be connected to a data recorder which you will wear in a belt around your waist. After that, you will be instructed to ingest the capsule.
- After Ingesting the Capsule:
- DO NOT eat or drink for at least 2 hours. After 2 hours, you may have liquids only, and after 4 hours you may have a light snack.
- Contact your physician immediately if you suffer from any abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting during Capsule Endoscopy.
- After ingesting the capsule and until it is excreted, you should not be near any source of powerful electromagnetic fields such as one created near an MRI device or amateur (ham) radio.
- Avoid any strenuous physical activity especially if it involves sweating and DO NOT bend over or stoop during Capsule Endoscopy.
- RETURN TO YOUR PHYSICIAN'S OFFICE BY 4:00pm.
(A clear liquid is any liquid that you can see through.)
Nothing RED or ORANGE in color!
No milk, cream or soy milk in your coffee or tea.
No alcoholic beverages, please.
Please drink as many clear liquids as possible in addition to your prep solution.
You may have:
- · Clear soups and broths (no pasta/veggies) (water based chicken or beef broth is OK)
- · Clear juices: apple, white grape, white cranberry, etc.
- · Instant drink mixes: iced tea, lemonade, Crystal Light, Gatorade, Propel, Pedialyte or other flavored waters AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT RED OR ORANGE IN COLOR.
- · Hard candy: NO RED OR ORANGE (butterscotch and root beer are OK)
- · JELL-O Gelatin: grape, lime, berry blue, pineapple, lemon
- · Popsicles/Italian Ice: ANY FLAVOR THAT IS NOT RED OR ORANGE
- · Clear sodas and seltzer water (these should be limited due to carbonation)
- · Tea (any kind): black tea, green tea, Earl Grey, Oolong, white tea, herbal tea, etc.
- · Coffee: black with sugar is OK, no milk, soy milk, or powder creamers
- · **YOU MAY USE SUGAR, HONEY, OR LEMON TO FLAVOR ANY LIQUID**
- REMEMBER - NOTHING AT ALL BY MOUTH AFTER MIDNIGHT ON YOUR PREP DAY - NOT EVEN WATER!
YOU MAY RINSE OUT YOUR MOUTH IF NEEDED. YOU MAY ALSO BRUSH YOUR TEETH THE MORNING OF YOUR ENDOSCOPY.
DO "NOT" TAKE ANY MEDICATIONS ON THE MORNING OF YOUR COLONOSCOPY!
Any questions regarding whether a liquid is considered clear or not, please call us at 845-331-8222.